Thursday, May 31, 2012

Little Deli, Big Sandwich

I realize it's been over a year since I've written about a sandwich, but fear not, that doesn't mean sandwiches haven't been consumed!
Sandwiches are near and dear to my heart, but sometimes writing about them isn't. Especially when they're the super messy sandwiches and your tip, tap, typing fingers just can't seem to feel computer clean.

Now that summer is in full heat-stroke swing in Austin, I thought there would be nothing better than to sit outside and eat lunch at a picnic table. Thankfully, school's out for summer so my teacher boyfriend was able to join me and knew of a great deli in town.

Don't let the name fool you, Little Deli may be a small place, but they make up for it with big portions and big taste.

In my opinion, the Italian sub is a great go-to at a deli. Most have 'em and most are delicious. Little Deli offers their submarines in two sizes, the 6" or the 12". While I totally wanted to chow down on a warship-sized submarine, I chose the 6". Plus, I was eating in front of my boyfriend and wanted to maintain the illusion of my being a dainty girl. (I'm not sure anyone believes that, however)

It's kind of hard to pretend to be dainty when you order a sandwich loaded with meat. Nonetheless, I only ate 3" inches of deliciousness and not so easily saved the rest for later.

My Italian was everything I want an Italian to be. Spicy capicola ham sliced paper-thin and loaded high then topped with Genoa salami to keep things in place before another round of ham and pepperoni rocked the boat. Next up is the provolone that is so wondrously mild it doesn't take away from the mountain of meat, but acts more like a cherry atop a sundae.

I really loved that all the items on the sandwich were sliced thinly, especially the onions and tomatoes. I love me some veggies, but I'm really there for the cold cuts. The onions were little whispers of flavor while the tomatoes gave the sandwich some depth. Lettuce was there for looks and to help hold in the oil and Italian spices.



Every few bites required a napkin, but it was totally worth it. My hands had a lovely sheen afterward, which didn't allow for typing, but was totally ok. You know, they do say olive oil is good for the skin... just sayin'.

My guy ordered the Roast beef sub, but a carnivore to the core, he requested his without veggies. I guess he has a "don't mess with the meat" kind of attitude. I managed to snag the best bite (literally the one he was saving- the part at the bottom where all the beef was hiding out under the provolone) and it was a tasty sandwich.

 I love the bread at Little Deli; it's got a great outside crunch and an inner softness. My teeth were like a hot knife in butter biting through. The thought is making me salivate all over again.

Without a doubt I will be visiting Little Deli again, only next time I'll go it alone to pig out and eat the whole sandwich in one sitting. And lick my fingers afterward, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Good work Lizard Queen - hope you're well - we all miss you at KCL - hope work ended up ok with it all

    Lerm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizardo! Holy smokes I forgot all about KCL...

    ReplyDelete