Friday, August 7, 2009

GO FISH!

You know how most sandwiches, or any food, for that matter, taste better when prepared by someone else?
That rule does not apply to tuna fish.

I grew up on tuna fish sandwiches that were drowning in mayonnaise and relish.
So boring, and not to mention so unhealthy.

Honestly, I don’t really care about healthy because I like to pair my tuna fish sandwiches with a bag of Doritos (sadly, no, I don’t mean a snack bag), but really, lighten up!

At Whole Foods, I tried the Parmesan and basil tuna fish salad, and this is what I came up with for myself.

Sorry Whole Foods; I can’t afford organic.


How Liz Does Tuna Fish

Ingredients, Part I: for sure amounts

3 cans tuna (I prefer my fish in water, not oil)
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced

Ingredients, Part II: test your taste buds
More or less that a cup of Parmesan cheese
About a ¼ cup of basil
Sprinkle of salt and pepper

How to:
Drain the tuna so it’s mostly dry, but still has a bit of moisture
Add the diced peppers and mix
Fold in the Parmesan cheese and basil
* I alternate between parm and basil to balance the flavors*
Sprinkle in the salt and pepper
VOILA!
You just made it my way!

If you must, choose mayo last and add it little by little.

I spread a generous amount on a pita or on Flatout bread to up the health factor. Equally delicious, and South Beach diet friendly, is to spoon the tuna mix into a large lettuce leaf for lettuce wraps.


*I apologize for the large quantity, but fear not! Tuna keeps for about three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment